Dropping a mooring in Loch Long.

Co-Ordinator- Dave Ashton
ColinGraham

Dropping a mooring in Loch Long.

Post by ColinGraham » Tue May 17, 2011 11:32 am

Hello group.

New so wanted to say hello and introduce myself. The names obvious I suppose haha so no point there eh. I'm up in Arrochar and live across the road from the Loch so decided to get the kids and I a 498 to get some more fishing / boating done this year in better comfort... maybe throw the camping gear in and get the odd night midge permitting!

I've just given the Crown Estate the coordinates for the mooring I've requested and have been looking into the various ways to go about it.... anyone on here ever done it?

I cant quite tell the best weight to be making the anchor (was going to use a tyre and concrete) and then a heavy chain swivled onto a lighter chain up to the buoy.

My intention is to make it up on the beach at low tide and leave it for a few days to see if it moves far.... then when im ready, bring the boat down and hook it up and drag it out over the shelf.... does this sound like a good idea or am I stupidly missing something?

Also looking for any advice on cleaning the inside of the 498 as she is in dire need of some TLC... all original in the cabin, just smelly and damp.

Bloody newbies eh, hes no asking for much :-)

daveinglasgow

Re: Dropping a mooring - Loch Long.

Post by daveinglasgow » Tue May 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi Colin and welcome to the forum

Re your new boat and how you can help us!

Please feel free to call me on 0759 563 8185 and I will help where I can re your cabin and other things you might want to consider. If you are new to boats also please let the Scottish Group know as several of us last year helped newbies by going out with them on the first launch.

Dave
ps thanks for the PM

dellquay13

Re: Dropping a mooring - Loch Long.

Post by dellquay13 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi Colin,

Is there a local boatyard, marine company or yacht club that lays and maintains other moorings in the area? Many insurance companies stipulate that a swinging mooring must be professionally maintained, and the crown estate might also say the same.
Milford Haven port authority will not accept swinging moorings that are not laid and renewed every two years and want to see proof too. They remove moorings that they think aren't safe.

Chris

RossMac0

Re: Dropping a mooring in Loch Long.

Post by RossMac0 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Colin

found some information on a web site that you might find interesting on the mooring of boats.

www.bradneychain.com

on the right hand side of the screen you will see a link to download a brochure called the practical guide to anchoring and mooring small boats.

cant remember if i read it in this brochure or not , but apparently its important not to use a mixture of stainless steel and galvanised steel on
anything that will be constantly underwater, the rule i read was to keep all metals the same on a mooring.
I'm just down the road from I you stay in Old Kilpatrick in Clydebank and use my boat in Loch Lomond, haven't managed to get myself a shetland yet,
I've got an Orkney 440 just now but the future is either a Black prince or a 610.

anyway hope this helps good luck.

Ross

ColinGraham

Post by ColinGraham » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:27 am

Cheers Ross.

ColinGraham

Post by ColinGraham » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Hello again guys,

Just wanted to share where I am with the boat mooring now that the rotten weather is almost past and it will be time to get wet again soon....

Regards the mooring. After nearly a year of research I can honestly say the best and most straight forward advice I got was from Jock at www.fpmhenderson.co.uk this is where I will purchasing my setup from at the end of the month.

My wee setup is a bit mickeymouse complared to what they are used to building but he still made what I needed crystal clear to understand and the price was spot on.

Dave, I may need to see what kind of discount you can get me for a service for my evanrude 9.9 mate... think I'd be as well to get it checked over before she goes back in the water as it will be October before I'm bringing her out again hopefully and it's Loch Long so probably best given the salt!

I'll text you after wages day :-)

daveinglasgow

Post by daveinglasgow » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 am

NP

Not sure where you live but I will be in balloch on wednesday or you can drop it off at my old mans in Helesnburgh if that is nearer for you. feel free to call me and we can sort something out

Dave
0759 563 8185
http://www.ashtonmarineservices.co.uk, Brokergae, Trailers, advice, boat transportation 0759 563 8185
https://www.facebook.com/ashtonmarineservices

ColinGraham

Post by ColinGraham » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:45 am

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Dave.... been mobbed busy and it went right out my head.

The guy from the local boat yard at Rosneath gave my email to a guy from Garlochead Brian Robertson who could come and service the engine at the boat for £90 so to save me the hassle of disconnecting the flex and transporting it etc...

I'm picking up my mooring tomorrow after work.

I will photo the set up and take some more as I drop it etc. Was out on the loch yesterday just after low tide and its a nice flat bottom at about 35ft so just perfect for my 45kg mushroom....

Have you been out on the water this year yet?

I need to see about fitting an auto bilge pump so just checking out some recommendations just now on type / fitting and the like.

Take care and talk soon

daveinglasgow

Post by daveinglasgow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 am

Hi

yes about 5 times . i now have a honda 90 on the back so she is a joy to go out on. more to the point when will you be in the water as I will take a trip up?

Dave
http://www.ashtonmarineservices.co.uk, Brokergae, Trailers, advice, boat transportation 0759 563 8185
https://www.facebook.com/ashtonmarineservices

ColinGraham

Post by ColinGraham » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:30 am

Hello Dave.

Hoping to have the mooring in place by the end of this month at the latest.

I'm anti-fowling this morning and trying to tidy up that splash well steering mount tomorrow with a view to getting the engine back on next weekend and hopefully a wee test run in.....

I'm on call the weekend of the 21st/22nd so maybe arrange something for the weekend after that if you are free? Could be doing with letting you get a good look round her and advising me of anything else I should be thinking of before she leaves dry land for the next 6 months! If you don't mind of course? I'm not wanting to be a pest but I know this is all new to me so I am hoping I have not missed anything glaringly obvious....

Best,

Colin