Appropriate engines for Broads waters?

Co-Ordinator Adam
rynd2it

Appropriate engines for Broads waters?

Post by rynd2it » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi,
I am needing to replace my 60hp two-stroke on my Shetland 610 with something more sensible. Looking at 15hp Tohatsu or Honda but the suppliers says if I want to cross Breydon Water I should go for the 20hp.

Opinions please

David

Merlin

Re: Appropriate engines for Broads waters?

Post by Merlin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi David,

In my opinion, it's all relative...
If you were to cross any body of water at slack tide, with no wind and you didn't mind how long it took, a couple of oars would see you right.
But if you were to do the same against the tide and head to wind, you'd need whatever engine is going to overcome their advances.
So, the bigger the better could be the conclusion.

I would suggest looking at what you intend to use your boat for in the most part and decide from there on the engine required.

I'm sure on the right day in the right conditions a 15hp outboard would suffice.
Afterall before going on any trip, I'm sure you would look at the prevailing conditions of weather and tide and judge your timings and course likewise.

I have a 40hp outboard on my Speedwell and am seriously considering downsizing to something like a 15hp four stroke, when finances allow.

Hope this is of some help with your decision.
Shetland Speedwell No. 118
Yamaha 40hp 1984
@SusieSpeedwell

Shetland Boats on the Norfolk Broads

rynd2it

Post by rynd2it » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am a fairly experienced yachtsman (just not on the Broads) so checking tides, weather etc is just normal for me. I am sure that 15 hp will get me around most of the Broads given the speed limits the only real question would be crossing Breydon water. It seems tide & wind will dictate if the journey is feasible or not but given calm conditions I believe 15 hp will be sufficient.

I am also wondering if the power tilt option on many outboards is considered essential or just nice to have - I'm looking at a used engine that doesn't have it but the price etc is really good. Opinions please

David

rynd2it

Post by rynd2it » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Well after due consideration, I'm going for the 20hp Tohatsu without the power tilt.
The 60hp has been sold so within a week or so we'll be back on the water with a more suitable engine

Cheers

David

rynd2it

Post by rynd2it » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Collected the boat today from Marine Tech at South Walsham - HIGHLY recommended.

The new engine and steering gear perform perfectly, the boat is a joy to drive now.

Cheers

David

Freebird19

Post by Freebird19 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Looking to do exactly the same. Removing my old 40hp two stroke and getting Marinetech to fit a 20hp Tohatsu. I had the same dilemma, 15 or 20, and decided the 20 would give a bit more flexibility. Rod at Marinetech has been a huge help. We've used them before and would also highly recommend!