Removing a sea toilet

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
oddbod

Removing a sea toilet

Post by oddbod » Sun May 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Can any members offer any advice/information on disconnecting and removing a sea toilet?

I want to remove the toilet and holding tank and put a porta loo instead.

Pump out facilities in our area are few and far between but plenty of Elsan points.

The sea toilet in our boat has a diverter valve so contents can be pumped into a holding tank, or directly out of the boat via a through hull fitting.

I don't want to remove anything in case there is a sudden gush of water through the hull fitting when I remove the plumbing.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

DACS

Re: Removing a sea toilet

Post by DACS » Sun May 07, 2017 9:52 pm

A sea toilet will have two sea cocks. Providing that you close both of these and that are working properly you should be safe. Once you have disconnected the hoses from them they should be capped off.

Bear in mind that the liquid in the system will not be pleasant So plan carefully to catch any spills.

foxcub

Post by foxcub » Sun May 07, 2017 10:10 pm

I did this on my Speedwell a couple of years ago, exactly as DACS says. I put wooden bungs in the hoses from the seacock after I'd disconnected the toilet, and left the other ends connected to the seacocks. I then made sure the bunged ends were left above water level. Perhaps a bit belt and braces.

oddbod

Post by oddbod » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I was filling in a bit of time and started going through old posts on the Forum and I noticed I hadn't replied or updated what happened following the advice from Dax and Foxcub.

The soil tank was eventually removed after having it pumped out and flushed out a few times. The seacocks were shut and the hoses plugged then rolled up and tied up to stop them unravelling. Removing the soil tank made loads of extra space in the 'hold' (we have the outboard version Shetland 27) and put a chemical toilet in place of the sea toilet. Just as we wanted.

So, thanks very much to Dax and Foxcub for their very good advice.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Shetland owners.