Shetland 570 hatch leak

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
disschord

Shetland 570 hatch leak

Post by disschord » Sat May 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi the houdini hatch on my shetland 570 is leaking can anyone recommend how to repair or cheaply replace

Many thanks

dellquay13

Re: Shetland 570 hatch leak

Post by dellquay13 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi,

Is it leaking from the glass seal or from the opening seal?
I have never heard of anyone successfully stripping one of these down and back together again, but it is possible to scrape enough sealant out from around the glass and poke enough new sealant into the gap if you prise it open about 1mm, to get a good enough seal to last a few years.

Hope this helps

Chris
1987 F4 mk4, 70hp 4str Yamaha. Milford Haven and seaward to a 40mile radius.

Inge2

Post by Inge2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi Chis,
my hatch is leaking as well, abviously from the glass sealing. Do you know where I can get an instruction how to disassemble and reassempble at least the bars from the glass to be able to make a proper re-sealing? Or is there any chance to get a new hatch of this kind for a reasonable price?
Thanks Rainer

Inge2

Post by Inge2 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi Chris, its me again. I emailed with the Houdinis, and they wrote, that it is not possible, to dismantle and reassemble the super 50 hatch. So I had to order a new one. Costs 290€ including the shipping to Germany, sent by a Dutch distributor (Ambtman). Is cheaper than a Lewmar hatch of such size, which would cost me a bit less than 500€ plus shipping. I will try to reseal the old hatch once the new one is installed. Will send notice in case of successful repair.
Regards Rainer

tam0710

Post by tam0710 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:00 am

Hi There, I had a leak in the hatch of my first Shetland (570) I simply ran sealant around the glass where it joined the rubber / metal of the hatch. Assuming that is where your leak is of course! It wasn't the tidiest job and could have been better looking if I had taken the time to put masking tape around it for a straight edge but it worked and was still bone dry 5 years later when I sold her! May have been the silicone / sealant / adhesive I used which was and still is the cheapest I have ever seen. It's also used on fish tanks! I got it on ebay. Here is the link. Hi There, I had a leak in the hatch of my first Shetland (570) I simply rand sealant around the glass where it joined the rubber / metal of the hatch. It wasn't the tidiest job and could have been better looking if I had taken the time to put masking tape around it for a straight edge but it worked and was still bone dry 5 years later when I sold her! May have been the silicone / sealant / adhesive I used which was and still is the cheapest I have ever seen. I got it on ebay. I have used it for lots of leaks and sealing jobs since. Great stuff. Here is the link. At that price you cannot lose!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HA6-Silicone ... 1438.l2649.

Good luck! Cheers. Tam.

vreagh

Post by vreagh » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:51 pm

I've just found an old tin of Comma Seek'n Seal that I used years ago to seal a hatch. It works by capillary action and creeps under the rubber before setting and dries clear. Unfortunately Comma stopped making it some years ago but I'm told a similar product is Captain Tolley's Find and Fix liquid. Best to Google to find suppliers.

siomalair

Post by siomalair » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:03 pm

I've removed mine completely as part of doing a rebuild of the whole boat. it would be better to replace it these old aluminium alloy frames tend to lose sealer adhesion to the metal and to glass as the alloy weathers, go plastic and double glazed if you can afford it, as this reduces condensation dramatically. There are some really good upgrades out there.