Boat age and windscreen query

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
Tiree

Boat age and windscreen query

Post by Tiree » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Im wondering what age my boat is. Its a Family Four with a serial 8881.

Whats the deal with Shetland Boats? There website seems to have been under construction for a long time and I've tried several times to ring them but never get an answer. Are they in trouble?

Im trying to see how much it would cost for the flybridge screen thing, or whatever they call it. Wind deflector?

dellquay13

Re: Boat age and windscreen query

Post by dellquay13 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi,

Has your F4 got the 2 peice curved screen? I got one of those from Shetland last year. It was expensive, it has a dip in the radius on the top edge where they overshaped it and had to bring it back out, and they took 9 months to deliver it.
Do you have a screen to copy or make a template from? Other companies can make screens but are unlikely to have the pattern already.

According to the specs page of this forum, your boat is 1978-9 approx, so it is one of the earliest F4s, just after it was redesigned from the 536.

Chris
1987 F4 mk4, 70hp 4str Yamaha. Milford Haven and seaward to a 40mile radius.

Tiree

Post by Tiree » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi Chris,

What do you mean 2 piece curved screen? I don't have any details, I'm not even sure what the correct name for it is.

I don't actually have any screen, I'm guessing someone removed it previously. Its quite windy when shifting along so was hoping that screen would make it a lot more comfortable when motoring.

I was born in 1977, its nearly as old as me!

dellquay13

Post by dellquay13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi,

If you look at the brochures for the 536, F4 mk1 and mk2 in the reference section of the forum, you can get an idea of what the original windscreen was like, it was a single piece curved screen. Maybe someone on here has one that they can make a paper template from, so you could get a Perspex supplier to make you one. They would need to have templates of the curve along the top of the screen, as well as the curve of your boat for the bottom edge, in additional to the overall shape.
My F4 is a later model with a different screen.

Hope this helps,

Chris
1987 F4 mk4, 70hp 4str Yamaha. Milford Haven and seaward to a 40mile radius.