Canopy Advice

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
shetty

Canopy Advice

Post by shetty » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi All, My name is Colin, my wife and I bought our first boat April this year a 1977 Shetland 640 hard top with a 1600 ford diesel engine and Enfield outdrive, I joined this forum June this year so new to both boating and this forum, we have spent the most of the summer updating our boat/going out for rides and reading a lot of your posts old and new ( leant a lot from this forum so thank you all for posting) Apart from our dog our boat is now our pride and joy’ we are baste in Ely/Littleport and use the Ouse between Ely and Denver slues a lot. Now this is where we need your help our canopy is old and tired so we need to give her a new one, I have had 3 estimates Bailey & Stone Gt Yarmouth, Titan boat canopies Huntingdon, they will both come out measure up/make & fit on site then an estimate from Shetland but there canopy is off the peg so to speak, so what I need to know from you guys is have you bought a canopy from any of these suppliers which are good or which are bad, thanks if you can help. Sorry for long post. Colin

DavidW

Re: Canopy Advice

Post by DavidW » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 pm

After getting quotes from one or two aftermarket firms, I bought a canopy directly from Shetland for my Saxon about 2 years ago.

I haggled with Mr Reinman and got a reasonable deal, and it was delivered fairly promptly considering the lead time quoted.

The added bonus is you know it’s going to fit 😀

Some have had problems dealing with Shetland but I can only go on my own positive experience.

Regards

David.
Shetland Saxon 013 "Wild Dream"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:42 am

Give Nauticover a ring. Ask for Phil

They carry pattens for most Shetlands. Very reasonable and I have used them on a couple of occasions

http://nauticover.co.uk/
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
Kenneth Grahame

shetty

Post by shetty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks Sue And David for your advice, Since then I have spent 3 months looking for a new canopy for my Shetland 640 and now settled for Titan Boat Canopies in Huntingdon (15 miles from me) I spoke to Steve who was very helpful and said he was going to the marina were I moor my boat to fit a new canopy and I can meet him there so I could see for myself the canopies he suppliers and he will came and see my Shetland and answer any questions I might have, When we met he spent about an hour telling me what I need and cost which I found was a very good price which included new stainless steel frame (my old one is old thin alloy tube) He gave me the address of a marina in Huntingdon were he had fitted canopy to a Shetland 640 the same as mine which I went to see and was very impressed of the quality and fitting So now I have paid a small deposit and it will be fitted end of February and will not have pay the balance until I’m happy after fitting, I found both Steve and his wife (who answers the phone) very polite and helpful. Hope this helps anybody who in looking for a canopy. I will update when my canopy is fitted. Thanks again Sue and David
Colin.

shetty

Post by shetty » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks Rem44, I found Steve and his wife very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
Colin.