535 Suntrip Refurb

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
Gazespana

535 Suntrip Refurb

Post by Gazespana » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:36 pm

I have just bought my first Shetland which is a 535 Suntrip. The exterior and hull are in great condition but the cabin interior, wheelhouse and deck are in a state, it having being badly abused for the last few years. It has a 75 hp Johnson which has recently been overhauled so I'm not concerned about that. Everything is Heath Robinson so I'm stripping her down and starting again. I have stripped out all the wiring and I'll get a greenie to sort that. I need a little advice on the deck which was several planks of what looks like garden fencing chucked across the stringers and screwed together. I would like to replace this with Marine ply with access to a bilge pump at the rear, the question is what size ply - 18mm ? Should I fibre glass the panels or just seal them with epoxy ? The cabin has been carpeted - all of it !! Bulkhead and deckhead glued down with spray glue !! I've stripped it all out but the fibre glass underneath is a real flakey mess ( but no holes or cracks ) Do I rub down and paint or put another layer of fibreglass on top and then re paint ? what do I repaint it with ? I want to use the boat as a weekend fisher but I also want to do a quality refurb so I can restore her to her former glory, I am new to this game but would appreciate any good advice. Thanks in advance.

dellquay13

Re: 535 Suntrip Refurb

Post by dellquay13 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:30 am

Hi,
Cabins lined with carpet and spray glue is very common, and Shetlands usually come from the factory lined with basket weave chenille glued on the cabin sides and roof. It makes the boat much less susceptible to condensation when you sleep onboard. I would brush all the flakey old glue off and reupholster the cabin if I was intending to overnight afloat.
Chris
1987 F4 mk4, 70hp 4str Yamaha. Milford Haven and seaward to a 40mile radius.

Gazespana

Post by Gazespana » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks Chris - Got out all the old carpet and now scraping off the interior ! I did think this was done for condensation problem but I'm thinking I could put a couple of vents in the cabin door and bulkhead to alleviate the problem ? Does anyone know if this will work ? Thanks for the advice it's very much appreciated.

dellquay13

Post by dellquay13 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:46 pm

It's not nice waking up in the middle of the night with at least one cheek, either at one end or the other depending on how undressed you are, stuck to a cold slimy fibreglass wall, with your condensed breath dripping down off the ceiling...
I've got the usual number of passive vents in the cabin, and a solar charged battery powered mushroom extractor vent in the cabin roof, an oil filled electric radiator for the colder months like now and we still get condensation overnight on any unclad surface like the windows and houdini hatch. I'm in my sleeping bag now on board glad that my arm is leaning on a fabric covered hull instead of bare grp.
If you don't like the idea of fabric or carpet, some people use vinyl material as insulation, although it will still get some condensation forming as it is non-absorbent.

Gazespana

Post by Gazespana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks dellquay13 ! That's good 'hands on' advice which I'll take on board ! I had to remove the old carpet because of the stink and the fact that three different patterns from the 70's did nothing for the ambience ! I will replace it with the thin corded variety and put some more vents in, although being an ex submariner on old diesel boats, I feel quite at home in there !! :lol: :lol: Does anyone have any views on the decking ? is 18mm marine ply acceptable ?

dellquay13

Post by dellquay13 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:05 pm

If you go with carpet, get the easy dry unbacked type. Toomey and Haymer sell lots designed for boats. Shetlands historically use 9-12mm ply for decking so 18mm will be fine. Seal it with resin and a flowcoat on all sides and edges for a longer lasting finish.

Gazespana

Post by Gazespana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Brilliant ! Thanks dellquay13 very much appreciated.

baal

Post by baal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 pm

I replaced that
http://www.bohacs.eu/feltoltott/retegel ... hexa-3.jpg

12mm thick,waterproof, used on trailers,beautiful light gray.
eternal life and one day :D

Gazespana

Post by Gazespana » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:45 am

OK Baal thanks for that but where do I get it ? and what’s the approx cost ?

baal

Post by baal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi!
I do not know where to get it,in Uk,because I'm Hungarian 8-)
But look for it:
http://www.nudo.com/p_nupoly_quadfloor_ ... tation.php
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 09696.html
Google is your friend :D
60 usd is the price in Hungary
1250mm x 2500mm its size