baal

Re: 535 Suntrip Refurb

Post by baal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:50 pm

p.s.
just baal...in a small letter :lol:

Gazespana

Post by Gazespana » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 am

Ive just cleaned out, sanded and repainted all the bilge and stringers and I’m now scratching my head thinking shall I lay the new deck and completely seal the bilge on with maybe one access point towards the rear. I’ve seen this done on other Shetlands is it advisable ? I do have a bulge pump but for the amount of water that gets in there doesn’t seem worth it ? There is a drain plug at the rear and the boat won’t be left in the water. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks

sniffyterrence

Post by sniffyterrence » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:43 am

Hi on our sun trip I used 18mm marine ply for the floor covered the bottom and sides in west system epoxy and the top deck side in a non slip deck paint. Try looking at the mega van mats website for a carpet alternative. It is a very thin carpet like material that will stretch around corners.it looks excellent nothing like 70s carpet is easy to fit with the spray glue and is not expensive. If you go on there web site you can request samples.
The only way to stop condensation is air flow, which is a hard thing to put up with from autumn to spring. We have a canopy on ours so leave the door open and the escape hatch cracked open. Still woke up with frost on the inside of the boat before.

Gazespana

Post by Gazespana » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks for the reply sniffyterrence - Did you seal the decking or screw it down ? in sections ? I’ve decided to put in a hand bilge pump in the rear with a 12” inspection hatch but I’m still scratching my head thinking how to fix the decking down. I’ve been told I shouldn’t screw into the stringer cross section bearers :?: I do have industrial strength joiners glue which is waterproof and sets like fibre glass but this would be permanent. :roll:

sniffyterrence

Post by sniffyterrence » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 am

I didn't screw mine down as I thought the weight of a 8x4 sheet of 18mm ply would not move, we were only on the river. Probably a mistake as anything you don't fix down will rattle as I found out. I think I have seen new pieces of wood fixed to either side of the stringers on projects then the ply fixed to that. If I was doing it again I would also put some kind of shock absorber between the two like rubber or a thin layer of window strip to stop any chance of viabration as I have done with everything else I have fixed down.
Being as the boat is probably 40 years old I'm suprised the stringers haven't got loads of screw holes in already :shock: