4 + 2

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
johndublin

4 + 2

Post by johndublin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi want to buy a 4 plus 2 with a hard top and trailer but finding it hard to find one
I can find soft tops with trailers
Question can you get a hard top kit or would I be better finding a trailer
Thanks

aggalletley

Re: 4 + 2

Post by aggalletley » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi...I have a 4 + 2 with a softtop. Take the top down and enjoy the sun in the driving position. Tales literally 30 seconds to drop the top or put it back up. Add another 5 mins for the sides which I usually have off anyway. Know little about hardtop models other than they are higher from waterline to top of boat and presume more difficult to take top off.
To your question re trailers and boats....why not buy a trailer first bet loads of marinas have them knocking around then go looking for a hardtop 4 + 2. My boat stays in the water at my mooring comes out in winter. Can see the savings in mooring fees by having the boat on a trailer
Have you tried getting a 4 + 2 onto a trailer yet? Might be good idea to speak to somone who has. Am probably telling my grandma how to suck eggs !!! Enjoy your search and enjoy the 4 + 2 when you get one....must be the best time to buy with the onset of winter coming up
Andrew

johndublin

Post by johndublin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks Andrew
I think a trailer first then the boat might ask the question about how difficult it is to load and unload and what type of trailer
Thanks again
John

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 am

We had a hard top 4+2 on a trailer. we found launch and recovery quite easy. We live on the tidal Hamble. Cant remember the type of trailer we had but I know a man who will help. I have emailed him

Sue
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
Kenneth Grahame

daveinglasgow

Post by daveinglasgow » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:44 am

Hi sorry

I sell the biggest range of trailers in the UK and we have a couple choices here but in simple terms it will go on a twin axle trailer as we are just over single axle limit which is 1400.kg

so..... SRG4/215 this has 44 rollers 13 inch wheels and comes with everything and includingb the shetland owners discount and based on colletion from Colchester the price is £2604.75 + VAT

your 2nd option is to go 2nd hand and I do have 1 ie rapide comercail trailer trailer withy full flushing kit spare wheel etc 2300. this is the top of the range galvinsied trailer I sell and has an RRP of over 5k! collection for that trailer would be Glasgow, manchester, colchester and woul be available in a month.

regards

Dave
http://www.ashtonmarineservices.co.uk, Brokergae, Trailers, advice, boat transportation 0759 563 8185
https://www.facebook.com/ashtonmarineservices

EricOnLine

Post by EricOnLine » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:37 am

Hi ,

We have a 4 + 2 hardtop with trailer, you will need to consider weight as our rig weighs in at 2,650 KG, incl trailer at 800 KG.

We changed trailer this year, from an Indespension Super Roller Coaster 6.5/22 to an Indespension Super Roller Coaster 8, same physical size, both twin axle, but with a stronger frame and bigger wheels and tyres, and a max GTW 3,200 KG

The 6.5/22 had a max GTW 2,200 KG, a local weigh bridge confirmed weight on trailer as 2,450, indespension has trailer at 650 KG, loaded boat is therefore 1,800 KG, I have read the hardtop is circa 150 KG, seems about right for size, but no way to check. We have a Honda 75 HP, so perhaps a little heavier than normal, with an 80 litre fuel tank, 45 litres water, three batteries, bits and bobs, it all adds up I guess.

We were too heavy for the old trailer, this was a surprise, although towing didn't feel right, the 6.5/22 is popular with 4 + 2, so this caught us out a little.

The rig was also too heavy for our previous car, a Volvo XC90, we now have a Land Rover Discovery 4, weight no longer a problem and she tows really well, previous 50 mph limit else snaking, now legal 60 mph limit she is straight as a die, well behaved and no more issues.

Launch and retrieve is okay, new trailer a little easier, both are roller, but new has far more rollers and a better arrangement of rear rollers.

Basically, for retrieve the 4 + 2 has a short stubby keel, we find this locates the gap between the rollers and stays central on the trailer during the retrieve.

We have fitted docking arms, floatem poles, not quite right for a 4 + 2, but these do help when retrieving as visibility of boat on trailer is tricky and we can gauge positioning from the docking arms.

We prefer to retrieve using ropes where possible, much more controlled, the winch finishes the load nicely.

We have launched from many slipways, Windsor Leisure Center our local, however Brundall Bay Marina Norfolk Broads being our favorite, or it may be we just really enjoy the broads, followed by the floating harbour in Bristol for the river Avon and Kennet and Avon Canal. We use Penton Hook Chertsey when staying out on the Thames for a break, car and trailer nice and safe within their grounds.

We do drive on when no other option, but it does not take much to loose alignment, even with the docking bars, just takes a little flow, or a little wind, or a little wash, or just bad aim and you're in trouble.

We are based on the River Thames near Windsor, our boat is covered for winter now, but happy for you to experience a launch and retrieve in the spring if you like and if your still looking for options then, or if you are in the area and would like a look..

All the best, cheers for now,

Eric

daveinglasgow

Post by daveinglasgow » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 am

Hi

if you buy SBS or a snipe or Bramber you dont need guide poles at all. Thge last post was a bit heavy reading so here is the simple view of it Remember also you have a soft top to are 200 kg lighter than the last poster

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21

so add engine weight say 200KG
Add fuel max 100kg
Personal stuff 100kg
anchors batteries etc 100KG
Thats only adds 500kg and still keep you in the 2 ton boat limit and your trailer will be 500kg if you buy a good make ie Brmaber, SBS, Snipe etc
http://www.ashtonmarineservices.co.uk, Brokergae, Trailers, advice, boat transportation 0759 563 8185
https://www.facebook.com/ashtonmarineservices