whats my boat?

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
avonview

whats my boat?

Post by avonview » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:56 am

hello everyone. im the newbie and im interested in finding out a bit more about the shetland? i bought. here are a couple of pics . grate ful for any help. im putting it into the water in spring 2018. needs some cushions as mine are crap and not correct , looks like a caravan cushions.. ive got it on a trailer at present. a twin wheel that tows well that i may sell next year when i get mine into wet stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DACS

Re: whats my boat?

Post by DACS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:23 am

I cannot think of any Shetland design with an overlapping cabin top. It looks like a separate moulding from your pictures. That method of construction was used by Birchwood but again, I cannot think of a model which matches.

What makes you think that it is a Shetland? Are there any badges or other clues?

avonview

Post by avonview » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:22 pm

hi thanks for the prompt reply. i was told when i bought it that its a shetland. the ebay ad said shetland. its registered as a shetland,insured as a shetland??? im happy with the boat but cant get any bits n pieces till i know what it is. i need cushions,canopy etc. im fitting a new interior as it was a fishing boat , it stunk lol. hulls sound. will be repainting in the spring, correct paint. trailers sound. towed from newcastle to bristol no problem. engines good possibly could do with a service again springtime job. whats good for the interior walls . its bare fibreglass at present. many thanks for your help

DACS

Post by DACS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 pm

A lot of boats of that size seem to be described as Shetlands in advertisements.

Cushions and canopies are usually made to fit. It is probably easier and cheaper than trying to find ready made items.

I would avoid painting fibreglass unless it is absolutely necessary. Once it has been painted it will need repainting regularly and whenever it gets scraped.

The interiors of small cruisers are often covered with cheap carpet. It helps to provide insulation and reduces condensation. Cheap carpet can be cut to fit fairly easily and fixed with spray adhesive.

dellquay13

Post by dellquay13 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:04 am

Hi,

Don't worry about what make the boat is when you come to get spares and fittings. For one thing, no manufacturer of boats that age will have any spares, they will be either long bankrupt or long discontinued. In reality, boat builders just make the fibreglass bits, everything else they buy in from the same suppliers that your various local chandlers (and caravan shops) use, so the bits you need will be available in someone's catalogue. You might just need to carry a sample or pictures round to a few shops.

Hope this helps

Chris
1987 F4 mk4, 70hp 4str Yamaha. Milford Haven and seaward to a 40mile radius.