Shetland 535 transom question

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
StirlingDavid

Shetland 535 transom question

Post by StirlingDavid » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 pm

I have 535, I just took my engine in for a service.

One of the problems I was having was a bit of spray when on the plane at speed.

On further investigation my engine is too long for my boat by a couple of inches and need a short shaft to stop this.

I currently have a long shaft 2 stroke 50hp on my boat.

Two problems....

Short shaft 2 strokes with decent push are hard to come by.

The engineer at Clyde outboards mentioned getting the transom built up at the back. This pricked my ears up as I really want to keep the engine I have at the moment as it is a fantastic engine and not have to sell it to buy a new 4 stroke.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Or built up the back end of their boat?

Thanks in advance

David
Last edited by StirlingDavid on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulturner64

Re: Shetland 535 transom question

Post by paulturner64 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 pm

David, such a project is feasable and will bring a number of advantages for you, but it must be done well as the transom absobs high twisting moments from the engine´s thrust. I would suggest you don´t use polyesters resins as new fibreglass does not bond well with well cured GRP. Instead use an epoxy which will both stick new timber core material to your existing transom core as well as ensuring new laminations bond with your existing hull. For a guide to techniques look at westsysteminternational.com/images/Fibreglass_boat_repairs_maintenance.pdf. Obviously using the West system but ther are others out there.
If you go ahead keep us abreast of your progress with words and pictures, there will be advice available from many here.

daveinglasgow

Re: Shetland 535 transom question

Post by daveinglasgow » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi

1: for 2 people a 40HP is enough for most cases ie 2 people and gear and a 50hp is only needed for 4 people and clyde outboards know that as so not sure why they are saying 50. I would have thought they would have gone through all options but point 2 is more the way I would go.
2: They should also have told you about jack plates as this is a far easier option and means you can keep the engine you have. It also means you are not messing about with the boat.

sadly to many outboard dealers give bad advice but I hope that this helps and saves you a lot of time and money.

oh and if it helps I am only a few miles away and happy to help at no charge .

Dave
http://www.ashtonmarineservices.co.uk, Brokergae, Trailers, advice, boat transportation 0759 563 8185
https://www.facebook.com/ashtonmarineservices