Teleflex steering.

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
paulskestrel

Teleflex steering.

Post by paulskestrel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi,

Can anyone inform me which teleflex cable I need for my Kestrel steering? aprox 1987 boat. Its virtually seized!

ALSO does anyone know where to get the black plastic screws+nuts that hold the smoke tinted windows in?
My black screws have now gone white, due to the sun bleaching them, and some are broken.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Thanks Paul.

daveflack

Re: Teleflex steering.

Post by daveflack » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi there ,can't advise on teleflex but Amazon & E bay have a good selection of plastic nut & bolt suppliers cheers magicflack

paulskestrel

Post by paulskestrel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks magicflack

tatsuko

Post by tatsuko » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:01 am

I recently purchased this cable for my 570 which is basically the same hull as the Kestrel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-OUTBO ... 2749.l2649

This matches up with the heavier duty steering for boats with engines from 55hp upwards, not suitable for the light duty steering for outboards up to 50hp.

A common problem with the steering getting stiffer and stiffer is the Splashwell support fitting for the cable passing into the outboard well. This can sometimes get dented or slightly bent causing the cable to get stiffer and stiffer. Would advise pulling the cable clear of the fitting, giving it all a good clean, check the tube for any minor kinks, regrease and try again.
Regards
Steve

CharlesKing

Post by CharlesKing » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:01 pm

If you look on the outer cable, the specs should be stamped into the plastic casing (it’s usually about a foot or so from the end of the outer cable).
The Morse D290 on my Saker was on the helm end, but I believe other manufacturers are on the outboard end.
Shetland Saker No 029
2011 Mariner 20hp

paulskestrel

Post by paulskestrel » Tue May 01, 2018 12:13 am

tatsuko wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:01 am
I recently purchased this cable for my 570 which is basically the same hull as the Kestrel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-OUTBO ... 2749.l2649

This matches up with the heavier duty steering for boats with engines from 55hp upwards, not suitable for the light duty steering for outboards up to 50hp.

A common problem with the steering getting stiffer and stiffer is the Splashwell support fitting for the cable passing into the outboard well. This can sometimes get dented or slightly bent causing the cable to get stiffer and stiffer. Would advise pulling the cable clear of the fitting, giving it all a good clean, check the tube for any minor kinks, regrease and try again.
Regards
Steve
Thanks Steve.

paulskestrel

Post by paulskestrel » Tue May 01, 2018 12:14 am

CharlesKing wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:01 pm
If you look on the outer cable, the specs should be stamped into the plastic casing (it’s usually about a foot or so from the end of the outer cable).
The Morse D290 on my Saker was on the helm end, but I believe other manufacturers are on the outboard end.
Thankyou.

ladydawn
Location: 4+2 soft top with 75 hp Honda on twin axle extreme trailer .

Post by ladydawn » Sat May 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Black plastic bolts and nuts are the same as number plate fixings, so Halfords or local motor factor would probably be your best bet .