Confirming boat age

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
ChrisC

Confirming boat age

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 am

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a 4 + 2. Lots to get to grips with an I am picking up very useful info from here already, thanks.

One thing I wanted to clarify was the age of my boat. The info I have been given lists it as 1982. However, based on the info in the boat specs section on here, suggests it is 1989. It is serial 383.

Now I'm not questioning the accuracy of the info on here ;-) . I'd just like to confirm that it is from a verifiable source before I update our insurers.

Thanks

Chris

ChrisC

Re: Confirming boat age

Post by ChrisC » Thu May 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Well, I've emailed Shetland to ask them if they can confirm the age but so far (a week) no reply.

Is the info on here from them?

I'm willing to bet the previous owner(s) have the wrong info, but don't want to make changes with the insurers only to find I have to change it back.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 am

you really need your HIN number. this will give year of build.

its about 20 digits long and stamped in to the hull. On a shetland it is normally around the transom area. Sometimes the outboard fixings cover it

The details on here are accurate and your build number of 383 is circa 1989/90. The specs were supplied by Shetland Boats themselves.

Hope this helps
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
Kenneth Grahame

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 am

That does help, thank you.

I will see if I can find the HIN number.

Does that have the build year as part of the number?

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Fri May 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Ahh. I've just found the document on Hull Identification Numbers. So I can now decipher mine when I find it.

Thanks for your help.