Water in Shetland 27 platform void.

Thoughts, Ideas and General Questions
oddbod

Water in Shetland 27 platform void.

Post by oddbod » Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm

Since owning our eight year old Shetland 27 that we bought last year, there have been niggling little features that I have on a lsit of modifications. Little jobs such as swopping all halogen bulbs to LED, replacing the cheap plastic deck plugs on the roof to metal plugs etc etc.

The latest on the list was the inspection hatch on the bathing platform. It baffles me why, when being built, Shetland didn't consider it would be better to fit a proper inspection hatch that can be unscrewed to, as the name says, inspect inside the platform void. We have an outboard model, so the platform also has the transom well in it. The top outboard mounting bolts exit in the transom well, the bottom bolts exit inside the void of the bathing platform. The round inspection hatch fitted was just a circle of fibreglass screwed down with six little screws. Once these were removed, it was clear the hatch was sealed using sealant of some sort. This was easily released using a wall paper scraper. Once the round cover was removed, I was shocked to find the void almost full of water! I removed eight and a half buckets of water, around 85 litres!

Having bailed out the water and dried inside the void, some of the water was coming from one of the outboard mounting bolts weeping. The hole from the original cover was a perfect fit for an 8" srew fastening inspection hatch (£6.95) , internal diameter was six and a half inches. The original cover doesn't encourage routine checking inside the void.

If you have a Shetland 27 outboard, it may be well worth looking in the bathing platform void and check the bolts are nipped up properly.