Shetland 2 plus 2 Sea Hawk - Warren Oliver - Kent

General Owners Photos and descriptions of their boats and equipment.
(also contains similar boats by other manufacturers)
admin
Site Admin

Shetland 2 plus 2 Sea Hawk - Warren Oliver - Kent

Post by admin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Shetland Owners054.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trickytrev
Location: Quicksilver Pilothouse with 60 Mariner 4stroke. On a Trailer.

Re: Shetland 2 plus 2 Sea Hawk - Warren Oliver - Kent

Post by trickytrev » Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Hey I nearly bought one of those . dam dam dam But the Barstuard seller pulled out :cry: wasn't as nice as yours. ....Have you had her a long time ?? Did you buy her in this condition or have you had to do a major restoration project on her ??? .. anyway Well done mate.. Any chance of a few more photo's ?? That would really make me cry...Cheers Trev.

jacksparrow

Post by jacksparrow » Sun May 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Trev.

Just thought that I would advise you that I was a previous owner of this particular shetland and named it Sea Hawk. To the best of my knowledge, Shetland did not use this name as a model reference but it seems to have got picked up and carried over. When the 2+2 was introduced in the 70`s both the outboard and inboard version were well beyond my financial resources but they remained one of my favourite boats for many years. When I was able to afford a used version, at least 10/15 years later, I scoured all the ads. I discounted many as they either had Tat hulls or tat engines, or both, until I found the boat in question. My offer of £4,500 (With a 4 wheeled trailer) was rejected but sometime later the owner came back to me to say that they would now accept it. Should have gone a bit lower!!

I purchased the boat around mid or later 80`s from a chap near Prestatyn. The boat was in very good condition and fitted with a merc 115 outboard. A previous owner had fitted oversize timbers to support the remote fuel tank floor and removing this under the cockpit floor gave us about 1 inch extra freeboard at the transom. We painted the light blue band ( I think there was some scuffing here) to the hull and put some stripes on the deck upstand. It did about 27 knots flat out and cruised at 20Knots on the plane. We kept it at Christchurch Dorset and used it for cruising about and skiing. The chap I sold it too, changed the engine for a Mariner 135.

Due to the Deep V hull, rough water handling was good and the raised steering postion was excellent making the boat seem quite a bit bigger than it actually was. In my view, they were overbuilt with a very heavy layup of GRP that made the boat quite heavy hence the low freeboard at the transom when combined with the the amount of immersion due to the deep V hull.

The double berth under the cockpit floor was an added bonus but I thought thast the cabin berths were a bit narrow. If I can get my pictures scanned I will post them if you wish.
Regards.
Paul

Pmompppp

Post by Pmompppp » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:51 pm

admin wrote:
Shetland Owners054.png
Have you got any pictures of the interior and the outer cabin I have same boat not ready till next year nearly finished but I've taken engine out and put a outboard on

ianackland

Post by ianackland » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:04 am

This my 2 plus 2 Seahawk - Seas the Day! We're very pleased and proud of her. Ill add some pics of the interior when the seat pads return from the lady covering them in cream leather look vinyl. Hope u manage to source one, they're really good on the water, ours has a 90hp outboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ianackland on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ianackland

Post by ianackland » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 am

ianackland wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:04 am
This my 2 plus 2 Seahawk - Seas the Day! We're very pleased and proud of her. Ill add some pics of the interior when the seat pads return from the lady covering them in cream leather look vinyl. Hope u manage to source one, they're really good on the water, ours has a 90hp outboard.