Introducing "Miss Kyra" Shetland 535 suntrip

General Owners Photos and descriptions of their boats and equipment.
(also contains similar boats by other manufacturers)
sniffyterrence

Introducing "Miss Kyra" Shetland 535 suntrip

Post by sniffyterrence » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Thought it was time I got some good photos of my boat so went out on the river yesterday.
Welcome to Miss Kyra my 1970's suntrip that I have spent the last 3.5 years replacing everything except the shell and outboard :shock:
Brand new plywood floor epoxy on one side none slip deck paint on other
All new lockers and seating with "home made cushions
Galley station with twin hob and sink below connected to stainless gas holder on back of boat
Custom built full height canopy and 25 mm stainless frame all made by myself
New windscreen Perspex, stainless grab rails, roller and cleat
Cabin striped and all carpet replaced
Boat is named after our beloved German Shepard who is overseeing proceedings in all three pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stokey1964

Re: Introducing "Miss Kyra" Shetland 535 suntrip

Post by Stokey1964 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 pm

that's a great looking canopy frame

Im just about to make one out of 22mm stainless for my 570

what did you use to bend the tube?

thanks

Simon
Shetland 570 MK 1
Yamaha 90 2006

sniffyterrence

Post by sniffyterrence » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi Simon
I used a conduit bender with a 25mm former. If you have any Electrician friends they may have one like me. I would suggest you use 25mm as I'm not sure you can get a former to fit 22mm, it's more of a plumbing size. Good look bending it on a plumbers bender if that's what your thinking as it's a bitch to bend on a full size bender :?

arnaud

Post by arnaud » Mon May 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Hello Terrence,

Congratulations on your work on Miss Kyra !

As far as I can tell, I just embarked on the trip you started 5 years ago ! I began stripping my 535 Suntrip yesterday and one of the major projects is rebuilding the original windscreen which was replaced years ago by a hard-top canopy. I can not find the precise measurements anywhere on the web for our particular model so I was wondering if you still had them lying around from the time you changed your panes (I will have to rebuild the frame as well but this should be easy enough once I get the panes' dimensions).

Thanks,

--Arnaud (FRANCE)

Freebird19

Post by Freebird19 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:37 pm

I too love the canopy! Being over 6ft on a Black Hawk can be a bit lacking in the headroom department! I would be interested to know if it collapses down though? Another picture with the canopy and frame down maybe if it's not too cheeky to ask, please? Or do you remove the canvases and frame and stow them away somewhere?

sniffyterrence

Post by sniffyterrence » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:09 am

Sorry not been on the forum lately so bit late on the reply. The front frame of the canopy has a semi permanent 25 mm tube down through the centre of the window frame held on by 2 wing nuts which can be removed and folded down when in transit. The middle frame sits on this and the back frame folds back and sits on two small uprights that secure it and it becomes a safety rail when canopy not in use. It will also fold completely backwards but would sit on top of the outboard which is not ideal when moving. We either have the canopy up as in the picture and put the infill panels in at night or remove it and store in the "bedroom" :lol:
I will try and get some pictures next weekend when we are out again and also measure the window frame

Freebird19

Post by Freebird19 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks for the info. Who knows, maybe summer will arrive and we might get on the water a bit more!