Blackhawk project

General Owners Photos and descriptions of their boats and equipment.
(also contains similar boats by other manufacturers)
Blackhawk19

Blackhawk project

Post by Blackhawk19 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:49 am

Hi there, does anyone recommend any navigation lights for the Blackhawk? I don't have the original pole mounted lights and was looking for suitable replacements.

Thanks in advance

Stokey1964

Re: Blackhawk project

Post by Stokey1964 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:20 pm

On my 570 I used the hella marine Led lights which are really nice.

The problem I have is finding a steaming light on a pole because it has to be 1m minimum above the height of the side nav lights.

There are plenty of 360 degree pole mounted about but not steaming lights.

I have bought a cheap led steaming light and Im going to make a pole mount for it out of stainless, with a bit of help from my mate with the welding.

This way I can get it at the height I require.

My side nav lights were originally quite high on the sides, if they were fitted lower down then you could get away with a smaller height for the steaming light.

the other alternative is to ditch the stern light and have a pole mounted 360 degree light, again a min of 1m above the side lights, this is also correct as long as you have no stern light

Simon
Shetland 570 MK 1
Yamaha 90 2006

Blackhawk19

Post by Blackhawk19 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:47 am

Hi Simon,

Thanks for reply,

I take it what you said is current regulations for navigation lights?

Think I might ditch the idea of a stern light and go for something in the pictures attached, and mount my side Nav lights lower down.

Thanks!
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stokey1964

Post by Stokey1964 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:36 am

yes, they are current regs

the last one would be fine in conjunction with your current side lights

It HAS to be higher than your windscreen though as it needs to be seen from the rear, basically the 360 light is combining the 225 degree steaming (forward light) with a 135 degree stern light.

the first example wouldn't work as its too low and it does look a bit crap!!

If you wire the power to the side nav lights and the 360 separate then the 360 on its own can also become the anchor light if you are moored up at night at anchor.

Im using the same 360 light as my anchor light but the fold down version not removable.

Simon
Shetland 570 MK 1
Yamaha 90 2006

Bluelightning

Post by Bluelightning » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:09 pm

If you go for an all round white light you'd want to mount it at the stern. You'll trash your night vision staring at a white light in front of you.

Si
2011 Family Four Mk8 with Mariner 60hp ELPT 4S

Blackhawk19

Post by Blackhawk19 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:48 am

Can you have a pole style stern light with side navigation lights only?

Would this be ok for regulations?

Regards
A Bell

vreagh

Post by vreagh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:22 pm

As I understand it, the regs require a steaming light to be at least 1 metre above the port and starboard lights and have a cutoff just to the rear of the beam with a stern light showing aft only and a all round riding light for use when anchoring etc. I have a white light mounted on the front of the mast that can't be seen from the cockpit and a all round white light on top of the mast .